Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service involves keeping and/or sharing certain content on a hosting server hosted by a website hosting distributor. There are different forms of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's survey them. Doing so, you can choose what you want, depending on whether you wish to build a web site, e-mail addresses, or to share files with pals and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service provided by particular web hosts, which lets you share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions are often supported by exhibiting ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely twisted explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would assign the load between autonomous groups of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given suppliers offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share a vast amount of pictures with pals or associates since the service is typically free. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your e-mails. Some firms offer web hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an e-mail solution. If you desire to possess an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can set up mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a handful of videos and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have a hard time with your site hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to own as many video clips as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to have a site. To some extent, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mail address accounts, upload video files, etc. At NTC Hosting, for instance, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be limits depending on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are purposed for specific web content exclusively.